This is the perfect recipe for a “not so eggy” keto sausage breakfast bake! I love egg bakes, but some of them are so egg heavy. This one is full of meat and veggies first and then complemented with eggs and cheese.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclaimer.
Join Trina’s Community on Facebook: Keto Recipes and Support Group
Keto Sausage Breakfast Bake
Tonight was pizza night. Costco gluten-free pizza night that is. In other words - mom's night off of cooking. Or so I thought.
I was going to skip dinner but decided at the last minute that I was hungry. So I raided the fridge to see what I had and decided to make a quick egg bake.
I will preface that I hated egg bakes growing up. They were spongy and eggy with big chunks of ham. Blech.... BUT, they were also convenient and made for great leftovers (or so I was told).
I wanted it to be heavier with meat and veggies vs eggs. Not sure why, just in the mood for something not so eggy and not your traditional egg bake! I also wanted something as leftovers for breakfast tomorrow - so breakfast for dinner it was!
I also wanted a light golden brown top to give a bit more texture. This is achieved by partitioning the mozzarella cheese and sprinkling some on top as the last step.
Another thing that I do not like about traditional egg bakes is that they are normally dry, often overcooked. Due to the proportions in this recipe of meat to egg, and that it is not egg-heavy, it is not dry at all.
You know what would have made this meal 100% perfect? A nice big helping of keto turnip hash browns! Yum!
Now, if you are like me, then you enjoy breakfast for breakfast AND breakfast for dinner! Not only is this keto breakfast bake good for that, but these keto breakfast pockets are perfect for either one as well! SCORE!
An 8x8 baking dish is a must!
This isn't quite enough for a 9x13 and might dry out if it gets too thin. I'd definitely stick with a glass 8x8 dish. I love using ones like this baking dish because you can just pop the lid on after you've served everyone and it will stay fresh without having to transfer containers!
While this dinner or breakfast certainly does not need any toppings - you can get creative with what you serve with it.
Salsa? Keto Homemade Guacamole? Maybe even a dollop of sour cream? All would be yummy!
Other Yummy Breakfast Recipes You Might Like
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 green pepper, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 3/4 cup mozzarella shredded cheese, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8x8 pan with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil.
- In a large skillet, brown ground sausage.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil in medium pan over medium heat.
- Saute peppers for 5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower rice, onion, and garlic to peppers and continue sauteing for 7 more minutes.
- The sausage should be done by now. When it is done, add pepper mixture and combine well.
- In a medium bowl, add eggs, sour cream, almond milk and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Pour meat mixture into the bottom of the 8x8 pan.
- Pour egg mixture over the top of the meat mixture.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella and pepper on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until eggs are done.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328.16Total Fat: 26.84gSaturated Fat: 11.59gSodium: 570.22mgCarbohydrates: 3.77gFiber: 0.98gSugar: 2.03gProtein: 18.23g