This weeknight-ready salmon casserole is the perfect combination of hearty and delicious! The creamy filling topped with a savory crumble for just the right amount of crunch will have you thinking of salmon in a whole new way.
Join the Facebook Keto Recipe and Support Group
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclaimer.
Low Carb Salmon Casserole
While a traditional salmon casserole is chock-full of carby noodles, this version skips the pasta filler and goes straight for the good stuff!
This hearty dish feels like comfort food, without the guilt. The secret to keeping it from getting too heavy is the little bit of tanginess you get from the goat cheese.
And while the casserole itself is very moist, the crumble topping gives the texture just the right amount of variety.
So how does the crumble get its wonderful crunch?
Toasted Almond Flour
Before you make this low carb salmon casserole, make sure you check out How To Make Toasted Almond Flour.
If you’re feeling tempted to skip this step, trust me, it is WELL worth it! First of all, toasting almond flour isn’t very hard (just watch it to make sure it doesn’t burn). Secondly, it makes such a difference.
Give it a try. You’ll be so happy you did.
Can I Use Tuna Instead Of Salmon?
If you prefer tuna, or if that’s what you happen to have on hand, the flavor combo and toasted almond flour crumble still works very well for a low carb tuna casserole.
Do I Need To Bake This Salmon Casserole?
Actually, baking is not required.
I recommend it because I think it really brings all the flavors together, but since the salmon is already cooked, you technically do not need to bake this low carb salmon casserole.
So if you’re short on time, just skip it!
How To Make Salmon Casserole
All right, onto the fun part. Let’s take a look at this low carb salmon recipe!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, add together the salmon, 2 ounces goat cheese, mayonnaise, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Mix the ingredients together well and then set aside.
Next, heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a pan over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add your minced garlic and sautée for about 30 seconds. Add onions and celery to the pan and sautée for about five minutes, stirring often.
Once the vegetables are cooked to your liking, add the water chestnuts and stir everything together for about 30 seconds.
Remove the veggie mixture from heat and add it to the salmon mixture. Stir everything until well-combined, then pour the mixture into an 8×8 baking dish.
In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave 2 tablespoons of butter and 3 ounces of goat cheese until both are melted, usually about 60 seconds. Once they have melted, stir the butter and goat cheese until they are combined.
Add 2 cups of toasted almond flour to the melted butter and cheese mixture. Mix well.
Using clean hands, crumble the almond flour mixture over the contents of the baking dish. Then, cover and bake for 20 minutes.
Other Dinner Recipes From The Keto Option That You Might Like
- 5 cans of salmon (5 oz each) (you can increase/decrease to your liking)
- 5 ounces goat cheese, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 celery, chopped
- 1/2 purple onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounces) can water chestnuts, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups almond flour, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, add salmon, 2 ounces goat cheese, mayonnaise, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- Mix well and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add minced garlic and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add onions and celery to the pan.
- Stir often and saute for 5 minutes. Once desired consistency is reached, add water chestnuts and mix them in and mix around for about 30 seconds.
- Add veggie mixture to salmon.
- Mix well and add to an 8x8 baking dish.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt 2 tablespoons butter and 3 ounces goat cheese in the microwave. 60 seconds is usually a good time. Once they are melted, mix them together so they combine.
- Add 2 cups of toasted almond flour to the melted butter and cheese mixture, mix well.
- Using your clean hands, crumble the almond flour mixture over the top of the baking dish.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 492Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 392mgCarbohydrates: 13gNet Carbohydrates: 7gFiber: 6gSugar: 3gProtein: 13g
Nutrition is calculated using a third party plug-in. It is best to always validate!