Whether you want breakfast for dinner or you are looking to spice up your breakfast – this keto taco casserole is the right fit for both! Spicy, creamy, fluffy and delicious!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclaimer.
Join Trina’s Community on Facebook: Keto Recipes and Support Group
Keto Taco Casserole
***** 6/24/2019 NEW TACO RECIPE *****
I've had a keto taco casserole recipe on here for a while. And it was good, but I wanted something GREAT! I also wanted a taco casserole that was made in a cast iron skillet.
So off I went to create it. After a few tries, I created this beautiful keto taco casserole while still keeping the general spirit of the original.
If you are looking for other fun taco-themed dinners, make sure to check out my delicious keto taco soup!
Kitchen Essentials For This Taco Recipe
A cast iron skillet is a must. I mean, I suppose it is not an absolute must, but you'll have to alter the instructions! You can do most of the preparations in a pan and then transfer it to an oven-safe 8x8 baking dish before pouring the egg mixture and cheese on top.
You'll also need a mixing bowl for preparing the egg and cheese mixture.
Everything else should be easy peasy!
Taco Pie Flavors
There are so many lovely flavors in this keto taco casserole.
Let's see, we have taco seasoning which you can get playful with. Use a packaged one so long as it is low carb or make your own! You can really play with the flavor of the overall dish with this one.
Then we have the Rotel. If you don't know what Rotel is like Petite Diced Tomatoes with a kick. You should be able to find it in your local grocery store next to the Petite Diced Tomatoes.
And, of course, sour cream. This provides some thickness and tanginess.
Lastly cheese and egg - we all know what those taste like! The egg gives it a nice little fluff!
RELATED - How to Start the Keto Diet (AGAIN)
How to Make a Taco Casserole
The great thing about this recipe is that most of it is done within the cast iron skillet. SCORE!
You start with browning the beef and cooking the onions. Then add in the taco seasoning and mix it up good.
Then you get to slap on some sour cream and Rotel! Stir it up and get it nice and thick and creamy.
Once it is all mixed up, you simply press it down flat to cover the bottom of the skillet.
Next, you get to add the egg, sour cream and cheese mixture. Just pour it over the top evenly, making sure most of the beef is covered.
Finally, you add the remaining shredded cheese and jalapeno slices. Pop it in the oven and bake it!
And BOOM! Check out this beauty!
How to Store a Taco Casserole
I generally don't store things in the skillet. The reason I do not is that I don't like it to stay wet for too long.
Scoop any leftovers out and store in and airtight container in the fridge. It will stay fresh for a couple of days for sure.
Easy Taco Casserole Toppings
So many toppings, so little time!
My toppings of choice are:
The sky is the limit though!
Other Recipes You Might Like
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 white onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons keto, gluten-free taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup sour cream, divided
- 1/2 cup Rotel
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a cast iron skillet, mostly brown ground beef.
- When beef is mostly browned, add onion and continue cooking.
- Once onion are translucent and beef is browned, add taco seasoning. Mix well.
- Add 1/4 cup sour cream and Rotel. Combine well and flatten so beef mixtures covers bottom of the skillet evenly.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs with a fork. Add remaining 1/4 cup sour cream and 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Beat until smooth and combined.
- Add egg mixture evenly on top of beef mixture.
- Top with remaining 1/2-1 cup of shredded cheese (your choice for how much) and add several slices of jalapeno.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until egg is set.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before serving with your favorite toppings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 417Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 231mgSodium: 490mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 32g
Nutrition is calculated using a third party plug-in. It is best to always validate!