If you like the idea of a dinner that doesn’t dirty up your pots and pans, this Tex Mex Chicken is the ideal recipe! This chicken recipe is a great one for helping you spice up dinner while keeping your macros on track and avoiding the dreaded task of scrubbing pots and pans!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclaimer.
Join Trina’s Community on Facebook: Keto Recipes and Support Group
Tex Mex Chicken
That’s right, my friends this recipe is also known as chicken foil packets, so no pots were harmed in the making of this recipe. Many people often think of foil packet recipes like this one as camping recipes, but this one is made for your oven!
This Tex Mex Chicken recipe is so good, that you’ll likely hear requests for it often in your home. It’s also ridiculously easy to make so you won’t mind adding it to your regular keto meal rotation. And there is something to be said for opening up a foil packet and having a complete dinner there waiting for you!
What is Needed to Make Tex Mex Chicken?
Oh my gosh, this recipe is so great because it takes very little supplies to create it!
- Aluminum foil
- Baking sheet
- Knives for cutting chicken and peppers
How to Make Tex Mex Chicken
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Season the chicken with the taco seasoning.
Lay down four long sheets of aluminum foil on a flat surface and place ¼ of the Rotel in the center of each piece of aluminum foil.
Top with ¼ of the peppers and onions, and season with salt and pepper to taste if desired.
Add a piece of the seasoned chicken to the top of each piece of aluminum foil and sprinkle each piece with ¼ of the cheese.
Roll up the longest two ends of the tin foil, and then fold in the sides to form a secure packet.
Place the packets on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked through.
Garnish with green onions and your favorite toppings before serving.
How Long Does it Take to Make These Chicken Foil Packets?
This chicken foil packet recipe takes just 20 minutes to prep and 25 minutes to bake! This really is a great recipe for busy nights or just those nights when you don’t feel like putting a lot of effort into dinner.
Are These Chicken Foil Packets Keto Friendly?
Yes!! This Tex Mex Chicken is keto friendly! With just 6 net carbs per serving, these will help you keep your macros in check.
This recipe makes 4 servings.
Tips for Making This The Best Tex Mex Chicken
Here are our favorite tips for making sure that these chicken foil packets turn out as good as possible with as little mess as possible:
- Double up on your foil! This will help to prevent any leaks from getting onto your baking dish.
- Vegetarian? Skip out on the chicken and add more veggies!
- Adjust seasonings to taste. (If you like your Tex Mex a little spicier, don’t be afraid to add some heat)
Are These Chicken Foil Packets Gluten Free?
While these should theoretically be gluten free, it is imperative that you double check your seasoning, because oftentimes you’ll find that store bought seasonings are not, in fact, gluten free. I recommend making your own seasoning mix or buying a seasoning mix that is labeled GF.
I have a really great homemade Fajita Seasoning that would work very well in place of store bought taco seasoning.
What Should You Serve With These Chicken Foil Packets?
This recipe is so versatile you can serve it with countless side dishes or you can eat it on its own! If you are looking for just a little something extra though, here are some of my favorite suggestions.
If you are thinking you would like to try these in taco form, you can make these keto tortillas. These are soft, chewy, and a perfect addition to this Tex Mex Chicken.
Keto Chicken Tortilla Soup
If you like to enjoy a bowl of warm, hearty soup with your dinner, this keto chicken tortilla soup is a great complement to this Tex Mex Chicken!
Delicious salsa is always a great companion to meals like these chicken foil packets! Not all salsa is keto friendly though, so be sure and make your own. I love this salsa recipe.
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise.
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- ½ onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 cup Rotel drained
- 1 cup fiesta blend shredded cheese
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Season the chicken with the taco seasoning.
- Lay down four long sheets of aluminum foil on a flat surface.
- Place ¼ of the Rotel in the center of each piece of aluminum foil.
- Top with ¼ of the peppers and onions, and season with salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- Add a piece of the seasoned chicken to the top of each piece of aluminum foil and sprinkle each piece with ¼ of the cheese.
- Roll up the longest two ends of the tin foil, and then fold in the sides to form a secure packet.
- Place the packets on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked through.
- Garnish with green onions and your favorite toppings before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 408mgCarbohydrates: 7gNet Carbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 26g
Nutrition is calculated using a third party plug-in. It is best to always validate!