When was the last time you had a grilled cheese sandwich? It has probably been a while, right? Grilled cheese isn’t really what you would expect to see on a keto diet, but now you can! This keto grilled cheese is going to be a hit!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclaimer.
Join Trina’s Community on Facebook: Keto Recipes and Support Group
Keto Grilled Cheese
I have a really great keto grilled cheese recipe ready to become your new favorite. If you have been missing the classic sandwich in your everyday diet, this recipe is going to be a hit. It’s a comfort food classic made keto friendly. What more could you want?!
So just to clarify, if you were thinking that you would have to say goodbye to grilled cheese forever, you were mistaken! I love making recipes like this that will show you just how easy it is for you to enjoy your classic favorites.
What is Needed to Make Keto Grilled Cheese?
If you are ready to jump right in and get back in the grilled cheese making game, you simply need to make sure that you have the following on hand:
How to Make a Keto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease a loaf pan well.
Place all of the ingredients for the bread into a mixing bowl, and blend until smooth.
Allow to rest for 10 minutes. Spread the mixture into the loaf pan, and bake for 60 minutes, or until cooked through.
Allow the bread to cool and slice!
Spread some butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place a slice of bread butter side down on a plate.
Top the bread with a slice of provolone, mozzarella and American cheeses. Sprinkle on some Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
Place another piece of bread on top, with the butter side facing out.
Heat a skillet over medium heat on the stove.
Add the sandwiches, butter side down into the heated skillet.
Toast the sandwiches evenly on both sides until crispy, and the cheese has melted.
How Long Does it Take to Make a Keto Grilled Cheese Sandwich?
This isn’t the quickest sandwich there is to make, but I assure you, the time it takes to make this one will be worth it. It takes about 20 minutes to prep the ingredients and a total of about 60 minutes of cooking time.
The difference in this delicious sandwich recipe is that you are making the bread from scratch. That’s part of what makes this sandwich so delicious.
How Many Carbs Are in Keto Grilled Cheese?
This keto version of the classic sandwich is on the higher side on the carb scale, so you may have to adjust other meals throughout the day if you enjoy one, but they are still just 8 net carbs per serving so they can easily fit into your macros.
An average grilled cheese sandwich comes in at over 30 net carbs each, so this one is by far the better choice.
This recipe makes 4 servings.
What are the Best Things About This Keto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- It’s made with homemade keto friendly bread. No store bought bread here!
- It’s gluten free! Because you are making your own keto bread for this recipe, you will know that it is gluten free!
- You can't forget that it's bursting with flavor!
- It’s nostalgic. If you loved enjoying a classic grilled cheese as a kid, there is just nothing quite like that feeling of nostalgia you get with this recipe.
Side Dishes That Pair Well with Keto Grilled Cheese
Trying to figure out what to serve with these sandwiches? Here are some ideas for you:
I’m a big fan of salad paired with sandwiches. This keto Caesar salad is delicious and pairs very well with the bold flavors of the grilled cheese.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Soup and sandwiches are just a great combo! Chicken tortilla soup is delicious and pairs very well with this grilled cheese.
Can You Use Other Bread in This Grilled Cheese Recipe?
Yes! You can definitely use a different bread in this recipe.
Keto Seed Bread
This keto seed bread makes an excellent bread for this grilled cheese. The seeds add a texture and flavor that really add to it.
Homemade Keto Bread
This homemade keto bread works well for this recipe too! It is dense and has a rich flavor that grills up perfectly.
Can You Use Different Cheese in This Recipe?
You can use any cheese you want in this keto grilled cheese recipe! I know I kind of loaded up on the cheese here, but some of us are absolute CHEESE LOVERS!
In reality, you can choose just one of your favorite kinds of cheese and use that. Or do what I did and have them all at once.
What to do With Leftover Grilled Cheese?
Grilled cheese sandwiches are better when served right as they are done, however they can be stored for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the fridge. When you are ready to enjoy your sandwich, reheat it in a skillet on low heat.
For the bread
- 2 ½ cups almond flour
- 1 ½ cup flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 ⅔ cup hot water
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
For the sandwiches
- 8 pieces of keto bread above
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 4 slices provolone cheeses
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices American cheese
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease a loaf pan well.
- Place all of the ingredients for the bread into a mixing bowl, and blend until smooth. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Spread the mixture into the loaf pan, and bake for 60 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Allow the bread to cool.
- Slice the bread.
- Spread some butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place a slice of bread butter side down on a plate.
- Top the bread with a slice of provolone, mozzarella and American cheeses.
- Sprinkle on some Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
- Place another piece of bread on top, with the butter side facing out.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat on the stove.
- Add the sandwiches, butter side down into the heated skillet.
- Toast the sandwiches evenly on both sides until crispy, and the cheese has melted.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1/2 large sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 509Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 889mgCarbohydrates: 14gNet Carbohydrates: 4gFiber: 10gSugar: 2gProtein: 23g
Nutrition is calculated using a third party plug-in. It is best to always validate!