Did you enjoy pop tarts in your childhood or your pre-keto days? Pop tarts have always been kind of a classic breakfast and after school treat for kids. And now they still can be! These keto pop tarts are great for grab and go snacks and let’s face it, even adults can acknowledge that they are delicious!
Keto Homemade Pop Tarts
FINALLY! We get to enjoy this favorite childhood treat with a healthy keto spin! They are easy to make, easy to store and easy to grab and go any time that you are ready to treat yourself!
With a buttery, flaky crust and a deliciously fruity filling, these keto pop tarts might just be better than the real thing! No need to worry about carbs though, these mouth watering delicious breakfast treats are gluten free, keto friendly, and just 5 net carbs per serving!
Can You Eat Pop Tarts on Keto?
I don’t need to tell you this, but regular pop tarts are most definitely not keto friendly. A single pop tart pastry contains roughly 38 carbs! That’s a big no no in the low carb diet world. These homemade keto pop tarts are the exception though and a perfect choice!
Is There a Healthy Pop Tart Alternative?
Yes! This keto pop tart recipe makes an excellent healthy pop tart alternative! Even though they don’t taste like it, you will be consuming less sugar and fewer carbs with this homemade keto pop tart recipe, plus you don’t need to worry about ingredients that you can’t even pronounce. You’ll know exactly what goes into these.
What is Needed to Make Keto Pop Tarts?
In order to put these low carb pop tarts together, you need the following:
- Ingredients (listed below)
- Microwave Safe Bowl
- Mixing Bowl
- Large mixing spoon or spatula
- Parchment paper or Silicone Baking Sheets
- Fork for crimping the edge of pastries
How to Make Keto Pop Tarts
Place the mozzarella and cream cheese into a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds at a time until the cheeses have melted and are combined well.
Add the cheese mixture to a mixing bowl with the egg, baking powder, xanthan gum, almond flour and 3 tablespoons Swerve. Blend until well combined into a dough.
Chill the dough for 30 minutes and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Roll the chilled dough to about ¼ of an inch thick between two sheets of parchment paper or two silicone baking mats. Cut the dough into eight squares or rectangles of even sizes.
Transfer the dough squares to a parchment or silicone mat lined baking sheet.
Place a spoonful of the jam into the center of 4 of the dough squares.
Layer another square of dough over the ones with the jam, and pinch the edges closed around the filling. Use the tines of a fork to crimp the edges of the pastries.
Bake for 15-18 minutes until cooked through and lightly browned. Allow pop tarts to cool.
Blend together the butter and Swerve until creamy. Mix in the vanilla, and spread the icing on the cooled pastries. Add sprinkles for garnish if desired and serve.
How Long Does it Take To Make these Low Carb Pop Tarts?
Besides the delicious taste of this low carb goodness, another one of the things that makes this recipe so great is that it comes together very quickly! It’s perfect for those last minute cravings or for meal prep days.
From start to finish, you’ll be enjoying these sugar free pop tarts in less than 45 minutes!
How Many Carbs Do These Low Carb Pop Tarts Have?
These sugar free pop tarts are great because they have a flaky, buttery crust and that sweet fruit flavor! All with just 5 net carbs per serving.
This recipe makes 4 servings.
How to Store These Keto Pop Tarts
If you have any sugar free pop tart leftovers, or if you are making them for meal prep, you might be curious about the best way to store them. I highly recommend the meal prep option. Since this recipe makes just 4, I recommend doubling the recipe and storing them to enjoy later.
At Room Temperature
You can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. You can grab them and eat them as is or pop them in the microwave for 15 seconds or so to enjoy them warm.
In The Freezer
Line the keto pop tarts out on a baking sheet and freeze them individually. Once they are frozen, place them in an airtight container and store them in the freezer for up to 2 months. Pop them in the fridge the night before you plan to enjoy them to allow them to thaw out.
Variations to These Low Carb Pop Tarts
If you are looking for any variations you can make to these low carb pop tarts, check out these great options:
Are you a lover of lemon desserts? Use this keto lemon curd in place of the berry jam filling for a bright, flavorful treat!
A cream cheese filling is quite tasty inside these low carb pop tarts! Or even a cream cheese frosting.
Are you a lover of all things chocolate? You can replace the filling with this keto friendly chocolate pudding!
You can basically replace the filling with any of your favorite keto friendly, sugar free jam or dessert filling.
If you are not a fan of strawberry or raspberry, why not try this homemade blueberry jam? Mix it up and have fun!
Keto Pop Tarts
For the pastry
- 1 ½ cups Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3 tablespoons Swerve confectioners sugar substitute
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup sugar free raspberry or strawberry jam
For the icing
- 5 tablespoons butter softened
- ¼ cup Swerve confectioners sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the mozzarella and cream cheese into a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds at a time until the cheeses have melted and are combined well.
- Add the cheese mixture to a mixing bowl with the egg, baking powder, xanthan gum, almond flour and 3 tablespoons Swerve. Blend until well combined into a dough.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll the chilled dough to about ¼ of an inch thick between two sheets of parchment paper or two silicone baking mats.
- Cut the dough into eight squares or rectangles of even sizes.
- Transfer the dough squares to a parchment or silicone mat lined baking sheet.
- Place a spoonful of the jam into the center of 4 of the dough squares.
- Layer another square of dough over the ones with the jam, and pinch the edges closed around the filling.
- Use the tines of a fork to crimp the edges of the pastries.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until cooked through and lightly browned. Allow to cool.
- Blend together the butter and Swerve until creamy.
- Mix in the vanilla, and spread the icing on the cooled pastries.
- Add sprinkles for garnish if desired and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 492Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 132mgSodium: 564mgCarbohydrates: 9gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 18g
Nutrition is calculated using a third party plug-in. It is best to always validate!