Do you miss eating bread on the side during dinnertime? Well, these keto tomato basil cream cheese rolls will fix that for you! These keto cream cheese rolls are savory, delicious and make a perfect addition to any keto dinner.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclaimer.
Join Trina’s Community on Facebook: Keto Recipes and Support Group
Keto Tomato Basil Cream Cheese Rolls
There is quite a bit of mozzarella in this recipe, but don’t worry! The mozzarella doesn’t overpower these rolls at all. The combination of flavors make these rolls a mouthwatering side dish.
Keto cream cheese rolls are a great side dish for dinner or for those times when lunch just needs a little something extra! I just love finding flavorful sides like this to add to my keto side dish collection.
What Do You Need to Make Keto Tomato Basil Cream Cheese Rolls?
In order to make these keto cream cheese rolls, you will need the following:
- Ingredients (listed in the recipe below)
- Food processor
- Microwave Safe Bowl
- Two Medium Size Mixing Bowls
- Mixing Spatula
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment paper
How to Make Keto Cream Cheese Rolls with Tomato Basil
Blend the tomato, Italian seasoning and garlic powder in a food processor until smooth.
Add the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese to a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 second intervals in the microwave, stirring at the intervals, until melted and combined into a dough.
Place the cheese dough in a medium mixing bowl with the blended tomato mixture and remaining dough ingredients.
Knead with your hands until well combined. Chill the dough for 30 minutes in the fridge.
In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the filling until well combined and smooth.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Roll the chilled dough out between two pieces of parchment paper until it is about ¼ of an inch thick.
Smooth the filling over the dough, leaving about ½ inch from the edges.
Carefully roll the dough into a log shape over the filling.
Very gently slice the dough into rounds about ½ - 1 inch thick.
Place the round dough slices onto the sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until browned and cooked thoroughly.
What Should You Serve These Keto Cream Cheese Rolls With?
While these cream cheese rolls really do taste great as a side dish with any dinner, they taste especially great with any Italian inspired dish. They are so good dipped into those creamy and delicious Italian sauces that we all know and love.
My Top Tips for Making These Keto Tomato Basil Cream Cheese Rolls
No matter what recipe you are making, there are always tips that will help in the preparation and cooking process. I am alwys looking for tips for making things easier and helping ensure the success of the recipe.
These are my favorite tips for making these keto cream cheese rolls.
- Chill the dough. A lot of people want to skip this step in order to save time, but I assure you, it will be much more difficult to prepare the rolls if you don’t follow through on this step.
- Use two pieces of parchment paper. You may be tempted to skip this step, but I promise it will make the process much easier. Using the paper will keep the dough from sticking to the rolling pin, the counter, etc. I don’t know about you, but I would much rather toss out one extra piece of parchment paper than spend all of the time it would take to clean the dough from everything it stuck to in the process.
- Allow the cream cheese to warm up to room temperature. Cold cream cheese is hard to spread, hard to mix and hard to deal with. Bringing the cheese to room temperature will make the process go more smoothly. You can simply put the block of cream cheese on the counter 30 minutes before you start to make these cream cheese rolls and it will be so much easier!
How Many Carbs Are In These Keto Tomato Basil Cream Cheese Rolls?
When enjoying delicious savory sides like this, you might be concerned about how many carbs they have in them. Well, not to worry because this recipe makes 14 cream cheese rolls, with each roll having just 2 net carbs.
Those net carbs can add up quickly if you eat the whole pan though so be sure and stay strong, keeping it to just one or two.
Can You Freeze Keto Cream Cheese Rolls?
If you find yourself with leftovers, don’t fret! You can easily freeze these rolls! Just be sure to freeze them individually before combining them all together in a freezer safe container. When you are ready to enjoy them, just pull them out of the freezer and pop them into the microwave for approximately 1 minute.
Can You Substitute the Mozzarella with a Different Cheese?
I know that it is great to have substitution options when making a recipe, but this recipe really needs mozzarella cheese to hold it together correctly. Mozzarella has a very specific melting consistency and this is not a recipe that would work well with any other cheeses.
For the dough
- 1 Roma tomato chopped
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 ¼ cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
For the filling
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Blend the tomato, Italian seasoning and garlic powder in a food processor until smooth.
- Add the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese to a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 second intervals in the microwave, stirring at the intervals, until melted and combined into a dough.
- Place the cheese dough in a medium mixing bowl with the blended tomato mixture and remaining dough ingredients. Knead with your hands until well combined.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the filling until well combined and smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the chilled dough out between two pieces of parchment paper until it is about ¼ of an inch thick.
- Smooth the filling over the dough, leaving about ½ inch from the edges.
- Carefully roll the dough into a log shape over the filling.
- Very gently slice the dough into rounds about ½ - 1 inch thick.
- Place the round dough slices onto the sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until browned and cooked thoroughly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 89Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 143mgCarbohydrates: 1gNet Carbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g
Nutrition is calculated using a third party plug-in. It is best to always validate!