One hard thing to find is marinara sauce that doesn't have ingredients that we can't have while living the ketogenic lifestyle. I made this marinara sauce for my lasagna (which if you haven't tried, you MUST) and it makes enough to store in the fridge to use later.
And let me tell you - this sauce is GOOD, especially if you love garlic.
It makes 4.5 cups worth.
Just a note - make sure to do your due diligence when buying the tomato products and do not choose ones with added sugars and high in carbs. There are many more natural varieties out there.
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 14.5 ounce cans of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 6 ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 teaspoons dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
The fun part:
Recipe credit (I only made a few TINY changes) - check out this amazing keto cookbook! It is my favorite!
Over medium heat, heat olive oil and saute garlic (stirring often).
Add fire roasted tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste in a blender until pureed. I used my ninja. I LOVED this step because I hate chunks in my tomato sauce (I know...).
Add pureed mixture to garlic on the stove.
While sauteeing garlic combine basil, parsley, dried minced onions, oregano, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
After a few minutes add this mixture and vinegar to the garlic pan. Mix well.
Bring to a light boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Use or add to containers to store! It will last about 2 weeks in the fridge.