Did you know you don’t have to give up BBQ sauce on keto? Spare the carbs and keep the flavor with this delicious keto BBQ sauce recipe!
Keto BBQ Sauce Recipe
I don’t know about your house, but at my house – BBQ sauce is a MUST. My kids eat BBQ sauce and ketchup on literally everything.
I could make a Thai spiced tofu and before tasting it they already have the sauce out to dip it into. I no longer take it personally as I used to think it had to do with my cooking.
But, no, I have now realized that it simply has to do with their enjoyment of the sauces.
We used to buy our keto BBQ sauce and then I realized that we make so many other things from scratch, why not add some BBQ sauce to the mix, right?
It is always healthier to make foods from scratch in my opinion and if you CAN then you SHOULD! So I followed my own advice on this one!
How to Make Keto BBQ Sauce
In a medium saucepan, add all ingredients, except for water. Combine well, add the water and continue mixing.
Heat saucepan over medium-high heat.
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low.
Simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring often. You can add more water if you want the consistency more liquidy.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Flavors in This Keto BBQ Sauce Recipe
The base for this recipe is, you guessed it, tomatoes. That is pretty standard.
This keto BBQ sauce recipe is packed full of yummy smoked flavor that you get from the liquid smoke as well as the smoked paprika.
The chili powder gives it a zing and the Swerve provides the most subtle sweetness!
And when you have heat, zing, and sweetness – you need a little tang! We get this from the apple cider vinegar!
A few other things and we get the most perfect and well rounded keto BBQ sauce!
Is BBQ Sauce Allowed on Keto?
Not your traditional high sugar BBQ sauce. You have several options:
1) Use this easy keto BBQ sauce recipe and make your own
2) Buy Sugar Free BBQ sauce which is also good! I prefer to make my own though.
Are Tomatoes Keto?
Tomatoes, often confused for a vegetable, are a fruit. They are about 3 grams of carbs per 100g. Which isn’t a HUGE amount, but can certainly add up when making your own sauces.
So while tomatoes can be a perfectly healthy addition to a strict keto diet, it is also important to be mindful of your consumption when used in sauces especially.
How to Store Homemade Keto BBQ Sauce
My favorite way to store homemade keto sauces is in mason jars like these ones that I got on Amazon. You can buy different sizes and store specific amounts if you want.
This sauce should be stored in the refrigerator and most definitely in an airtight container.
Other Keto Sauces From The Keto Option
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons low carb brown sweetener (I use Swerve)
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- In a medium saucepan, add all ingredients, except for water. Combine well.
- Add water and continue mixing.
- Heat saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring often. You can add more water if you want the consistency more liquidy.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 365 Everyday Value, Organic Worcestershire Sauce, 5 fl oz
- Wright's Hickory Seasoning, Liquid Smoke, 3.5 oz
- 365 Everyday Value, Organic Onion Granules, 2.47 oz
- McCormick Gourmet Organic Chili Powder, 1.75 oz
- McCormick Gourmet Organic Garlic Powder, 2.25 oz
- Frontier Smoked Ground Bottle, Paprika, 1.87 Ounce
- Swerve Sweetener, Brown Bundle, 12 oz pack of 2
- Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar USDA Organic - Plastic Bottle (16 Ounces)
Serving Size:2 tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 8Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 95mgCarbohydrates: 2gNet Carbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
Nutrition is calculated using a third party plug-in. It is best to always validate!