Once a week, many people find it optimal to have a carb up day to help with hormones and muscle building. This healthy keto carb up meal is just the thing to stay the keto course by simply increasing HEALTHY carbs.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclaimer.
Join Trina’s Community on Facebook: Keto Recipes and Support Group
Healthy Keto Carb Up Meal
You may or may not know this, but I am a HUGE advocate for 1 carb up day per week in order to sustain keto as a lifestyle and have the healthiest body possible.
Having a healthy keto carb up meal is beneficial for many things. Especially for women: hormones, metabolism, etc...
I usually incorporate sweet potatoes and carrots into my carb up day.
I created this Keto Hash which is a variant of my low carb Keto Hash. I wanted to increase my carbs in a consistent, healthy way. AND I wanted a meal that my kids would love and, well, they LOVE THIS! I won't mention that it was a product of just throwing stuff in a pan and seeing what worked! And then tweaking it of course once we realized how delicious it was!
Health Benefits of a Carb Up Day
If you want to know about all the benefits, please visit here: Benefits of a barb up day with keto.
A Healthy Family Recipe
This healthy keto carb up meal is a win/win. A high veggie meal for the whole family AND it increases your carbs for the day.
If you are truly doing a carb up day, you'll need more carbs than what this meal provides. But this can certainly account for one of your meals!
I mean, you could even eat this for lunch AND dinner - I'll admit that I do that sometimes!
- 2 large sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 bunch of Brussels sprouts, quartered
- 2 large bell peppers, diced
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 3 celery, sliced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 inch chunk of fresh ginger, minced
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 pounds ground sausage
- In a large wok or pan, cook sweet potatoes over medium-high heat. Do not use oil as it will make them mushy. Stir often. They are done when slightly soft - about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, combine Brussels, sprouts, peppers, carrots, celery, onion, ginger, coconut oil, water and cumin. Cook over medium heat, stirring often for about 15 minutes.
- Lastly, in a medium pan, brown ground sausage. Set aside.
- When everything is done cooking, combine EVERYTHING into the wok with the sweet potatoes.
- Stir and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 610Total Fat: 50gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 1306mgCarbohydrates: 20gNet Carbohydrates: 16gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 20g
Nutrition is calculated using a third party plug-in. It is best to always validate!