I love being able to cook on the stove and transfer it right to the oven in the same pan! This keto butter herb chicken cooked in marinara and topped with cheese is a yummy dinner for any night. The zoodles are a perfect complement to this dish and a great source of veggies.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclaimer.
Join Trina’s Community on Facebook: Keto Recipes and Support Group
Butter Herb Chicken
My favorite dinners are the one pot dinners. While this one is more like a 2 pot dinner due to the zoodles, the chicken portion is done all in the skilled! It makes clean up quite a bit easier as well. This Cast Iron Skillet is the one I have! I even have a tiny one that is fun to use as well.
Veggies are something that just get overlooked with keto and I find that zucchini are pretty perfect for most meals. You can eat them whole, slice them up, make zoodles. AND they are higher in fiber than some other veggies, which translates to lower net carbs.
Chicken is one of those things that I try to always have on hand in the freezer. You can make so many different types of meals and, quite frankly, is in kind of a staple comfort food for me. I do like to dress it up on occasion as this recipe does!
A gourmet meal, without the gourmet cost or time commitment! Win/Win!
And...sometimes dinner should look pretty. Don't you think this looks pretty?
If you don't have a Cast Iron Skillet, I highly recommend getting one! I have made so many different types of dinners and desserts with mine. It helps make this keto butter herb chicken especially tasty! I even make things like keto cheesy garlic biscuits in it!
Are you wondering how to make zoodles? Never fear, it is super simple! You just need a very basic spiralizer. No need to get a fancy one with a crank handle, a simple one like this one will do just fine. You can spin it yourself!
I find the best way to cook zoodles is in a wok. Not to mention a million other things!
This recipe calls for chicken thighs with skin on. You can either have bone-in thighs or boneless. Either will work. You may have to adjust cooking time for smaller thighs.
And if you don't have fresh garlic, you can substitute 1 teaspoon of dried minced garlic in place of the garlic clove.
I love pairing all kinds of main dishes with zoodles. You can make them crunchy, mushy, and everything in between. I like them more cooked than not so if you like them crunchy then decrease the cooking by 5 minutes. If you don't have a spiralizer - you can get one on Amazon. I have an inexpensive one like this one.
This keto butter herbed chicken is full of flavor and tender. Easy clean up and delicious taste!
Butter Herb Chicken
- 4 chicken thighs, skin on (bone in optional)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup low carb marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 yellow zucchini, spiraled
- 2 green zucchini, spiraled
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
Butter Herb Chicken
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium skillet, melt coconut oil over medium high heat.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until fragrant, stirring often.
- Add chicken thighs skin side down and brown for 2 minutes.
- Flip chicken.
- Pour butter over chicken thighs and sprinkle garlic salt and Italian season over thighs.
- Lightly pour marinara source over thighs and top with cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes, lower temperature to 350 and bake for 15 minutes more.
- When you lower the temperature on the chicken, it is time to start cooking zoodles.
- In a sauce pan or wok, heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil over medium heat. Reserve the remaining 1 tablespoon of coconut oil for later, if needed.
- Add zoodles, stir often, and cook for 15 minutes.
- If the pan gets dry, add the remaining coconut oil.
Putting it all together
- Serve Butter Herb Chicken over zoodles.